Sunday, October 30, 2011

Family Thyme


“FAMILY THYME”

With my high paced career, the man of the house commuting back and forth between Philly and Richmond, teenager's social and work schedules, basketball practices, and b-ball games, it is very hard to get in family time.  Life happens, but nothing should get in the way of a family bonding together.  To remedy the shortfall in my household, I had to look for creative ways to spend time with my kids and my lovely other half.  Everyone likes to eat, so cooking Sunday dinner presents the perfect time for us to get together and create magic in the kitchen.  Ladies, its also a great way to turn up the heat between you and a significant other.  Cook a great meal together, share some wine, put on some good slow jams and have a fabulous candle lit dinner.  Try it Al Fresco for added romance.  Okay my imagination is getting the best of me... Back to the family time.
“The Menu”




Red Velvet Cup-Cakes w/Cream Cheese drizzle
***Click on the Menu Item to get the recipes!  Double click the images to zoom in!
So...If you read my last weeks article in the Good Eats section, you probably already know that the kitchen is not my playground. The same applies for my daughters. The old adage, "The quickest way to a man's heart is his stomach," must not be true, because Chris, my lovely boyfriend, is still here. But since I want him to stay around, I am teaching myself to cook, family in tow for the journey!!
The Chefs: My daughter Nia and Me
The Good Eats section of my blog was originally meant to be an area where I could review some of the many restaurants that I frequent.  It has evolved into a place where I can document good food that I cook love into in my own kitchen. Its worth it too!!  The meal that we whipped up today cost about $35 for the ingredients that I didn't already have.  Most of the items used for this meal like milk, flour, salt, pepper, cheese, and canned sweet potato, were already in the cabinet or fridge.  I bring all of this up because not only did we bond and grow stronger as a family, we did it with a significant cost savings.  With labor and ingredients, it cost $4.10 per plate.  I just had this same meal at a restaurant a few weeks back, minus the desert and it cost $24.00 per plate.  Now you do the math and see if its worth it to get in some FAMILY THYME!!

As always, I want to hear from you.  Try the recipes and give me your feed back.  Let me know creative ways that you can spend more time with family or just drop us a line to say hello.


Yours Truly,

Ms. Me








2 comments:

  1. I'm Nia, the other cook in this article. I wanted to show my mom some love and post a comment since I helped her cook... I just want to say that when we started working on this meal, everything was so hectic. My mom was in the middle of stir frying the fish when she realized that half of her ingredients were left at the register in the grocery store. She had to send my sister back out to go get it so she could finish making the stuff that went on top of the chicken. I was in charge of cooking the red velvet cupcakes and I had cake mix everywhere, on the walls, on the table, on me!! LOL The red food coloring turned my hands red. Don't think mom will be asking me to help cook ever again!! I had so much fun thought. We eventually sat down to an amazing dinner!@! I was really good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment! Spark the conversation!